While traveling along the natural path to restore wholeness and well-being, one very basic tool you’ll want to be aware of is how to improve your pH balance. Did you know that an imbalance in the body’s pH may lead to the following health concerns?
Read on to find out how to learn what your pH is, and what you can do to maintain balance.
- Hormone concerns.
- Cardiovascular weakness.
- Weight gain/loss.
- Bladder and kidney concerns.
- Immune deficiency.
- Acceleration of free radical damage.
- Structural system weakness, including brittle bones, hip fractures and joint discomfort.
- Stressed liver function.
- Low energy.
- Slow digestion and elimination.
- Yeast/fungal overgrowth.
If you like this e-zine, please do a friend and me a big favor and "pay it forward." If a friend DID forward this to you and if you like what you read, please subscribe by visiting my web site, Natural Health Coach for Women.
April 2004 ......................... Issue #001
In This Issue
- Are You pH Balanced? What to do if you are too acid or alkaline.
- Too Acid? Eliminate the cause - - High Phosphorus Foods List
- Nutri-Burn now in Chocolate and Vanilla
- Recipes: Herbal Frappuccino!, and Mint/Chocolate Nutri-Burn
- What You Need To Know Before Using Splenda
Are You pH Balanced...
...and is it important?
Actually, the answer is a resounding YES! Your pH balance can affect all major body systems, especially the digestive, intestinal, circulatory, respiratory and immune systems. When you maintain a proper pH balance your metabolic functions work correctly which in turn allows your body to function at it’s best.
Determining your own pH is simple. All you need are some inexpensive test strips and color chart. Test twice daily for several days to get a general idea how your body fluctuates. By the way, if you choose to use the test strips I use, you'll be happy to know there are 100 in the box (which comes with it's own color chart). Enough for your whole family and to recheck for several months.
You want pH to vacillate is between 6.0 - 7.0 in urine and saliva
First thing in the morning -
Just before dinner-
Consider making changes in your lifestyle if necessary to bring yourself back into a balanced state. Below are a some suggestions.
Urine is Acid 5.5 / Saliva is Normal 6.5
Body is producing excess acid but the kidneys are doing their job. They are flushing the acid. The pH of the tissue is marinating in a stable range and the kidneys are dumping the excess acid.
- You need to reduce acid production
- Improve digestive function with enzymes
- Eat more alkaline forming foods and less acid forming foods
- Get more oxygen into the blood stream.
- Use more potassium and magnesium
Urine is Acid 5.5 / Saliva is Alkaline 7.0
This is very acid and at the high end of the normal range for alkaline, and more serious. The pH of interstitial fluids is going alkaline and the kidneys are flushing the acid. Because there is a lot of acid the body is trying buffer until it can get the acid out of the system. If the pH of saliva is going into 7.0 range you will have a hard time breaking down carbohydrates.
- You want to reduce consumption of high glycemic carbohydrates like
- White flour
- White rice
- Refined sugar
- Reduce consumption of acid forming foods like meat.
- Increase amount of enzymes so body can break things down better.
- Support organs of digestion, which are the pancreas, liver and lymphatic system.
Urine 4.5 to 5.0 / Saliva 5.5 to 6.0 - - Double Acid
Double acid is where excess acid is being produced.
You must do drastic things to restore your alkaline mineral buffers. Drinking soda, eating fast food, white flour, coffee, heavy protein consumption, and lots of cheese, meat and refined carbohydrates gets you to this state. Acids are being produces and kidneys can't handle the excess load. The acids are remaining in the lymphatic fluid and the body is having a hard time buffering and removing the acids from the body. This is when your buffering systems are stressed.
- Replenish alkaline minerals, which are magnesium, potassium and calcium as they are depleted.
- Use bio-available form of Calcium Herbal CA. Not dolomite from rock.
- Reduce acid forming foods and increase alkaline forming foods.
- Support kidney function. Use things that will help kidneys flush fluids waste material better.
- Use herbs that enhance kidney drainage and enhance the ability of the kidneys to work better.
- Use herbs like goldenrod, marshmallow and nettles. (NSP Kidney Drainage)
- Use alkalizing minerals, foods and supplements. Use green foods like green leafy vegetables and chlorophyll.
This is where the urine is alkaline and the saliva is acid.
There is acid in the fluid around the cells. The buffering mechanisms are severely depleted. The kidneys are not able to filter the acids properly out of the blood. Acid is accumulating in the tissues and there is poor lymphatic drainage.
- Support the weakened kidneys by tonifying or build the kidneys like nettles, horsetail, eucommia (Chinese in KB-C to support the weakened kidney.) It helps the body flush out the acids better.
- You also want to enhance lymphatic drainage with herbs like plantain, red root, calendula, cleavers and red clover. You want herbs which drain the lymphatic + and then support the kidneys in flushing the acids. Use Lymphatic Drainage formula.
- Take protease on an empty stomach.
- Use potassium, zinc and chlorophyll.
- People in this state feel unstable so they have a feeling of wishy-washy.
There are 2 different reason as to why you can go double alkaline.
1. You can have a severe condition of acidosis. This is where the body is so acidic it is producing ammonia to buffer the acids. This is when a person is very ill or is very elderly. This is a very serious condition and the body is way out of whack in an acid condition.
2. True alkalosis - The body is over alkaline. Usually caused by drugs or extreme diets.
How do you tell the difference? If they have the ammonia smell and the person is elderly or weakened this is the severe acid condition.
If you have someone on chemotherapy or a very severe diet like when they are only eating fruit diet, strict vegetarian, no protein intake then this is true alkalosis.
Helping someone with double alkalosis is more challenging. When you ingest alkaloid herbs you will get alkaline poisoning like severe diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and spacey. This can happen when people get on severe vegetarian regime with low protein intake. They think this is a healthy way to be, but they get very spacey and very ungrounded. It can be difficult to work with these people. They think this is the way should eat but their body is sick. They keep thinking if they eat more fruits and vegetables and avoid the heavy mucus forming protein foods they will be OK but they are driving the body into double alkalosis and their body is falling apart.
- Acidosis you work with the same way as a double acid condition but since it is so severe put the person in a semi-fasting mode.
- Flush the body with water
- Use a lot of raw juices, which are rich in potassium and calcium salts to replenish the tissues so the acid can get out and alkalize the body.
- Use an aggressive program of supplementation of alkalizing minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium and chlorophyll.
- Flush acids from system and replenish the alkaline mineral buffers.
- Look at double acidosis program for the solution.
- The solution is to increase consumption of acid forming foods, especially protein. This can be very difficult to convince this person to do.
- They are so alkaline their digestive system is out of whack so they must be on Food Enzymes and HCL (PDA). Protease is a protein is a protein digestive enzyme.
- Their body will be toxic due to the fact that when you get the double alkaline state the acid is being held inside the cells and it can't get out.
- Their body can't flush the acid out of the cells. You will want to do some colon and liver cleansing to the body can dump the toxins, which have been stored in the tissues.
Too Acid? Eliminate the cause
High Phosphorus Foods
- BREADS & CEREALS
- Bran Cereals
- Waffles from Mixes
- Dark Breads
- Canned or Dry Beans
- Lima Beans
- DAIRY PRODUCTS MEATS
- Milk Liver
- Cheese Pizza
- Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter
- Dark Cola Drinks
Nutri-Burn now in Chocolate and Vanilla
Nutri-Burn [Weight Management, Vital Nutrition] is a caffeine-free, ephedra-free, high-protein, low-carbohydrate, weight-loss meal replacement drink mix. Each serving of this delicious chocolate-fudge, or vanilla flavored drink mix provides 30 g whey protein, 6 g fiber, 210 calories, 14 g carbs (8 g of countable carbs), 4 g fat and at least 60 percent of the Daily Value of 14 vitamins and minerals with 100 percent of calcium.
Though Nutri-burn was created as a weight-loss meal replacement, I have also used it as a healthy between meal snack. Yum!
It also contains electrolytes to help maintain pH balance and prevent dehydration. The ingredients in Nutri-Burn are designed to slim, energize and build the body. Nutri-Burn contains whey protein (neutral pH), Garcinia cambogia, L-carnitine, chromium, CLA, lecithin, vegetable fiber, decaffeinated green tea extract (with 60 percent EGCG), vanadium and essential vitamins and minerals.
The directions say to mix 2 rounded scoops of Nutri-Burn powder in 8 ounces of cold water in the NSP Power Shaker. For variety I sometimes use half water and half oat milk (my favorite). You could also use soy or rice milk. When I want it rich and thick, more like a creamy, dessert type drink, I use all oat milk and no water. At under $2 per serving, it's a very affordable, nutritional, meal replacement/snack.
Have some fun with Nutri-burn and get creative with these recipes:
2 teaspoons NSP Herbal Beverage (caffeine free coffee substitute) . Make it hot like a coffee.
Soy milk to taste
On tablespoon maple syrup to sweeten
1 1/2 scoop chocolate Nutri-Burn
3-6 cubes of ice
Place ingredients in the blender
Blend to make a smoothie.
Whip cream optional!
For a pleasant change to the taste of the chocolate Nutri-Burn add one or two drops of peppermint oil before shaking.
Blend with 2 scoops chocolate Nutri-Burn Protein Drink with soy or rice milk (chocolate or vanilla) or water.
NOTE: Be careful not to add too much or the mint taste is overpowering.
What You Need to Know Before You Use Splenda
Recently I’ve heard comments from people who believe they’ve found the “wonder sweetener” that will save them from the dread villain, sugar. For the month of April, I have made available an article entitled 12 Questions You Need to Have Answered Before You Eat Splenda, to all my newsletter subscribers. If you are thinking of using Splenda, I encourage you to read this article before making your decision. Personally, my family and I prefer good quality stevia.
Comments? Ideas? Feedback? Please reply to this e-zine.
I’d love to hear from you. Just reply to this zine and
tell me what you think!
Teri Hayes is a Certified Natural Health Consultant and Herb Specialist
You can e-mail her at TeriHayes@natural-health-coach-for-women.com or visit her at
Natural Health Coach for Women
The herbs and supplements she recommends to clients can be found right here.
To schedule an appointment you can reach Teri at 863-676-8766.
Initial consultations (usually 1 ½ hrs.) are $50 which includes a follow-up visit (approx. 30-45 min).
The suggestions in this e-newsletter are meant to encourage personal responsibility for health and are not given as medical advice. For your individual health concerns such as chronic or acute warning symptoms, in emergency situations, or when in doubt, seek the advice of your primary personal health car practitioner.
"Those who do not have enough time for good health, will not have good health for enough time."